How to Clean and Polish Exhaust Tips (and Other Chrome)
Exhaust tips on your vehicle are easy to overlook, but they can make a statement about your ride. They also can get really dirty with exhaust soot (black carbon buildup) and road residue, which can be just plain exhausting to scrub and clean without periodic attention. That’s where Tub O’ Towels come in. These heavy duty wipes are the perfect exhaust tip cleaner because they’re specially formulated to clean up all kinds of messes, including caked-on soot and dirt, without all the elbow grease.
The Harder Way to Clean and Polish Exhaust Tips
There are multiple ways for cleaning chrome exhaust tips, most of which involve soaking and scrubbing…and more scrubbing. Here’s one way to clean exhaust tips:
- Put on gloves to protect your hands from harsh degreasing chemicals.
- Fill a bucket with soapy water (car wash soap).
- Use an old cloth to wash off the surface dirt and carbon from the exterior of the exhaust tip.
- For the inside, use a round, stiff-bristled brush dipped in the soapy water to start scrubbing (a wheel brush/spoke brush works well).
- Apply a degreaser to the exhaust tip with an old, dry cloth, both inside and outside, to loosen difficult dirt and carbon buildup. Let it soak for the amount of time the label recommends.
- Scrub off the degreaser using #0000 grade steel wool to remove any remaining carbon buildup. If you haven’t cleaned exhaust tips in a long time (or ever), you might need to repeat the degreasing and steel wool scrubbing process.
- Wipe the exhaust tip with a clean cloth.
- Apply a metal polish to the inside and outside of the exhaust tip with the steel wool.
- Remove the polish after it has set for the recommended time by using a microfiber cloth.
The Easier Way to Clean and Polish Exhaust Tips
If you want a faster, better way to clean your chrome exhaust tips without harsh chemicals or heavy scrubbing, get your hands on Tub O’ Towels with Bond Buster™ technology, which loosens and lifts dirt and grim away.
- Grab a tub of heavy duty Tub O' Towels wipes.
- Wipe the outside and inside of the exhaust tip (test an inconspicuous spot first). Let the cleaning solution soak in for a minute or two.
- Grab another new wipe and wipe off the dissolved dirt and carbon. If it’s been a long time since the last cleaning, you might need to scrub the inside a bit with a round, stiff-bristled brush.
- If needed, wipe a final time with another wipe.
- Shine with Tub O' Towels Chrome Wipes.
Tub O' Towels Chrome Wipes can also be used to clean, shine and seal other metallic automotive surfaces including wheels, trim and grilles.
About Tub O’ Towels
Why are Tub O’ Towels the best exhaust tip cleaner? Here are what sets our cleaning wipes apart from the rest:
- Exclusive Bond Buster™ Technology: This groundbreaking additive simply dissolves the bond between the exhaust tip and the dirt and carbon buildup at the molecular level, which leaves hard scrubbing behind.
- No Harsh Chemicals: Through a blend of biodegradable detergents, emulsifiers and foaming agents, Tub O’ Towels wipes make fast work of tough dirt without the need for harsh chemicals.
- Durable Wipes: These oversized wipes were made to be durable so they won’t fall apart when you need them most. Each wipe features a quilted, poly-blend material that is soaked with cleaning solution to give you maximum cleaning might.
- VaporLock Technology: The VaporLock seal keeps the cleaning solution where it belongs—in the canisters and on the wipes and not evaporating so your wipes will always be ready to use.
Want a Better Exhaust Tip Cleaner?
Keep your exhaust tips looking great with Tub O’ Towels, the wipes that say goodbye to harsh chemicals and hard scrubbing. Pick up a tub of heavy duty wipes and chrome wipes and see for yourself why our wipes truly are better for exhaust tips and a whole lot of other messes.
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.