Brake dust is residue that is created as your car or motorcycle’s brake pads wear down. Over time, it can make a real mess of your bike or car wheels. It is dirty and tough to remove, especially from unpainted aluminum rims, but Tub O’ Towels can help. Our heavy duty wipes are specially formulated to take on even the toughest messes, including brake dust.
How to Remove Brake Dust Off Your Wheels (The Hard Way)
You can remove brake dust with either a mild soap solution or a specialized chemical brake dust cleaner. In fact, many experts recommend using both. If you want to try this method, here are the steps:
- Put on eye protection to guard against oily splash back.
- Remove the hubcaps for cleaning the same way as the wheels.
- Use a hose to spray down the wheels.
- With a small brush, carefully clean out all of the crevices.
- Mix car wash soap with water according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Use a sponge and a brush to apply soapy water to all 4 wheels, as well as the hubcaps.
- Scrub all of the wheels and hubcaps with a brush to loosen dirt and grime. Pay close attention to the rims, where most of the brake dust gets lodged.
- Use a sponge to scrub away all of the grime that was loosened with the brush.
- Soak particularly dirty spots with the soap solution, and then return to them when you are finished with the rest of the job.
- Use a hose to thoroughly rinse each wheel and hubcap until the runoff water runs clear.
- Put on a work apron, gloves, and mouth protection to guard against caustic chemicals.
- Test spray a designated brake dust remover onto an inconspicuous spot on one wheel and hubcap.
- If there is no damage, spray the chemical onto all wheels and hubcaps.
- Allow the solution to sit as recommended by the package instructions.
- Use a brush to scrub each wheel and hubcap, paying close attention to crevices.
- Repeat as necessary until the wheels and hubcaps are shiny and even in appearance.
- Use a hose to thoroughly rinse away all traces of brake dust and cleaning fluid.
- Wax the wheels and hubcaps, taking care not to get wax onto any braking surface.
Brake Dust Removal (The Easy Way)
Whether you choose to add a chemical cleaner or use only the soapy water solution, traditional methods for removing brake dust require a lot of heavy, dirty, repetitive scrubbing. With Tub O’ Towels, though, this is cut to a minimum. Thanks to our Bond Buster™ technology, you can wipe away tough brake dust with ease.
- Remove the hubcaps.
- Pull out a heavy duty Tub O’ Towels wipe.
- Wipe the brake dust away, allowing the cleaning solution to do the heavy lifting.
- Use additional wipes as needed until all of the hubcaps and wheels are free of brake dust.
- Wax the wheels and hubcaps if desired, taking care to avoid all parts of the braking system.
About Tub O’ Towels
What makes Tub O’ Towels so much better and easier to use? Actually, a few things! Here’s why ours are the best cleaning wipes on the market:
- Exclusive Bond Buster™ Technology: All of our Tub O’ Towels wipes include a revolutionary additive that breaks the molecular bond between the stain and the surface. This means that hard scrubbing is a thing of the past.
- No Harsh Chemicals: Thanks to our bond busting additive, our wipes have no need for environmentally damaging, harsh chemicals. Instead, we use a biodegradable blend of detergents, emulsifiers, and foaming agents to gently lift away even tough brake dust.
- More Durable Wipes: Our oversized heavy duty wipes are designed to stand up to the messiest jobs. Each wipe features a quilted, poly-blend material that is evenly soaked in our cleaning solution, allowing you to wipe away stains with ease.
- VaporLock Technology: Our canisters are sealed with VaporLock technology to prevent evaporation. Each and every wipe is ready to go when you need it.
Ready for a Better Cleaning Wipe?
If you’re ready to say goodbye to hard scrubbing and dangerous chemicals, give Tub O’ Towels a try. You can find our wipes both on our website and in a wide range of top retailers. Let us show you why we make the best cleaning wipes on the market!