How to Remove Tape Residue from Wood
What would the world be like without adhesive tape? Thankfully, we don’t have to find out. Adhesive tape can be used in so many ways, from sticking two items together to acting as a moisture barrier to masking surfaces when painting and much more. Because adhesive tape—like masking tape or duct tape—is designed to stick, removing the tape and all traces of it can sometimes be a difficult task, especially removing tape residue from wood without damaging the surface. Tub O’ Towels can get you out of that sticky situation, removing even stubborn tape residue.
The Harder Way to Remove Tape Residue from Wood
Determining how to remove duct tape residue from wood or how to remove masking tape residue from wood or any type of residue can go one of two ways—the harder way or the easier way. First is the harder way, which can involve multiple steps that move from easier to more difficult. If you want to try the more involved way, here are the steps:
- Start scraping with a putty knife, but do it gently so you don’t scratch or damage the wood.
- Dampen the surface with warm water, which can soften the tape adhesive. Then, scrub with a soft cloth using back-and-forth strokes.
- If that doesn’t work, add a couple drops of dishwashing liquid to try to loosen the bond more. Unless it’s a water-resistant surface, don’t let the water sit long or the wood could be damaged.
- You could also try warming the residue with a hair dryer and then trying to wipe it off with a soft cloth or scraping it off with a putty knife.
- Use a clean, white towel or cotton swab to dab a bit of rubbing alcohol on the spot, but not if it’s painted wood because the alcohol could remove the paint.
- On finished wood, you could try WD-40. Put on gloves, spray the surface, wait a few seconds and then use your finger to try to wipe away the residue. Wash away the remaining oil with soap and water.
The Easier Way to Remove Tape Residue from Wood
Removing tape adhesive from wood doesn’t have to be so involved or require so much effort. Leave the scraping tools and home remedies behind and grab a Tub O’ Towels heavy duty wipe for the easier way to wipe away sticky tape residue without all the hassle.
- Retrieve a Tub O’ Towels wipe.
- Place one of the wipes over the sticky duct tape residue.
- Gently wipe the residue/adhesive.
- Repeat as needed to remove the residue.
- For strong-willed residue, let the wipe sit on the sticky area so the cleaning agents can permeate the stickiness, then wipe.
About Tub O’ Towels
Removing tape residue from wood and wood furniture is a whole lot easier with the power of Tub O’ Towels heavy duty cleaning wipes. Here are four reasons our wipes stand apart:
- Exclusive Bond Buster™ Technology: Tub O’ Towels wipes have an advanced additive that actually busts the bond between the tape residue and the wood surface, meaning there’s no need for hard scrubbing or trying multiple remedies.
- Gentle Cleaning Agents: You don’t need gloves to protect your hands because our wipes use a gentle blend of biodegradable detergents, emulsifiers and foaming agents instead of harsh chemicals to wipe away the residue.
- Built to Last: The only thing tougher than stuck on tape reside, Tub O’ Towels wipes are built to be durable to take on tough challenges. Their textured, quilted design holds the right amount of cleaning solution to make the job go fast.
- VaporLock Technology: A special VaporLock seal keeps wipes moist between uses so they’re always ready to go to work when you need them.
Ready for a Better Cleaning Wipe?
Try Tub O’ Towels today and discover for yourself how much easier it can be to remove tape residue from wood or quickly clean up any of life’s messes. They’re available on our website or at leading retailers.